The Forestry CDE enables students to use their acquired skills in a competitive setting through practical applications, general knowledge and problem management practices. The state forestry event measures FFA members' knowledge of forestry and wood products management issues. Questions on tree and equipment identification, a general knowledge exam and interactive forestry applications are just a few of the methods used to measure participants’ abilities.
2018.State Forestry CDE:
Lincoln Tree Farm - Tacoma, 9 AM, April 26
Maximum of 2 teams per Chapter (4/5 contest)
*onsite check-in begins at 8am*
Registration is due by 4pm on April 13.
For the Forestry Issues Presentation, one of the following will be selected:
-- What practices or processes have affected timber sales and or markets in your region? (However, eastern WA has different issues than western WA.)
-- Explain what Sustainable Forest Initiative (SFI) and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) are and what they have in common.
-- What is woody biomass? What are the positives and negatives of producing woody biomass?
Email from Event Coordinators (2018):
The following three topics have been selected for the State Contest on April 26 (per the handbook rule: Teams will communicate their knowledge and opinion about national or regional forestry issues through a presentation with a judge. State CDE Contest Coordinator will pick 3 topics from National list (below). Those three will be sent on the WAAE listserv by March 15; 1 issue will be announced at the State CDE for all teams to follow.):
- What practices or processes have affected timber sales and or markets in your region? (However, eastern WA has different issues than western WA.)
- Explain what Sustainable Forest Initiative (SFI) and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) are and what they have in common.
- What is woody biomass? What are the positives and negatives of producing woody biomass?
2017 State Winning Team: Colville, coached by Ivy Nelson
2016 State Winning Team: Mount Baker, coached by Todd Rightmire
2015 State Team: Mount Baker (Todd Rightmire)
All Career Development Events
- Agricultural Communications
- Agricultural Sales
- Agricultural Technology and Mechanical Systems
- Apple Evaluation
- Dairy Cattle Evaluation & Management
- Dairy Products Evaluation
- Environmental & Natural Resources
- F.A.R.M. for Kids
- Farm & Agribusiness Management
- First-Year Member
- Food Science & Technology
- Horse Evaluation
- Livestock Evaluation
- Marketing Plan
- Meats Evaluation & Technology
- Milk Quality and Products Evaluation
- Potato Evaluation
- Poultry Evaluation
- Soils and Land Evaluation
- Tractor Driving
- Veterinary Science
All Leadership Development Events
- Agricultural Issues Forum
- Conduct of Chapter Meetings
- Creed Speaking
- Employment Skills
- Extemporaneous Speaking
- Parliamentary Procedure
- Prepared Public Speaking